When You Live Where I Do…

…you need one of these.

I’ve got to admit, I have a thing for Magpul. Young guys, totally unafraid of taking radical chances that blow the paradigm out of the water. And this one is no exception.

In a move sure to freak out every Brady Bill advocate and give NRA nuts a warm, fuzzy feeling inside, Magpul (makers of the Masada rifle) have come up with a new semi-auto submachine gun that folds up into an inconspicuous little book — or wallet or flashlight…whatever.

Now, I live in a dicey part of DC and when it’s dark at night, I like to have a little extra protection against the thugs that harass us gentrifiers (and trust me, it happens plenty in my ‘hood). It’s as if Magpul thought of me (or my wife) when they came up with this modern day Deringer.

P.S. — I want to take some time to thank my boy Dave Woroner who sent this item my way. You’ll remember Dave from the entry I posted a while back on his TacRail for Beretta M9s. Well, seems they’ve taken a bit of an interest in his little invention and (fingers crossed) looks like it might become an official accessory. So, if you have time, keep the karma breezes blowing his way and let’s hope we’ve got a bit of a “David-Joins-Goliath” kinda scene here.

– Christian

This website uses IntenseDebate comments, but they are not currently loaded because either your browser doesn't support JavaScript, or they didn't load fast enough.

Benjamin Fan March 7, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Fascinating - that thing is a thing of beauty.

Bob March 7, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Technically, I don’t believe you can have a semi-auto sub-machine gun. Machine guns are by definition fully automatic weapons (requiring an individual to have a Federal Tax Stamp to buy/own/sell). A sub-machine gun is a machine gun firing a cartridge in a defined small caliber range (read assault weapon).
A semi-auto is strictly a type of firing mechanism, i.e., double-action or single action.
That what makes me crazy about the “Assault Weapons Ban”. Assault weapons are already heavily regulate.
Nonetheless, a neat tool (which is what after all a firearm is). I live in MD outside of DC and you could not pay me to move down their.

Erik March 7, 2008 at 12:37 pm

OMG!!! I love these guys. what a sweet weapon. I hope they decide to make them. I’ll take two!!!

Christian March 7, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Bob,
So, you seem to have proven my point…Submachine (small caliber round) gun…But then YOU make the point subMACHINE (full auto fire)…hmmm, not sure what to call it now. Is this a new class of weapon maybe?

Bob March 7, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Christian,
I would classify it in the same category as the Colt Sporting Rifle I can buy at the gun store down the road. Small caliber (.223), and semi-auto. Just a better design for concealability. My question would be how rapidly could you deploy it? In downtown DC I’d still rather have my Glock or HK USP and Remington tactical shotgun.

Joshik March 7, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Have you ever drawn your weapon in DC? Were you being physically assaulted? Verbally harrassed? Looked at the wrong way? Did you call the cops? Were there any repercussions? Since carrying a weapon in the streets of DC is illegal, I would think you would be the one ending up in prision, unless maybe the other person also had a firearm and was actively threatening your life.

Da' Buffalo March 7, 2008 at 2:27 pm

“(and trust me, it happens plenty in my ‘hood)”
If it WAS your “‘hood”, you wouldn’t be getting harassed. Honky.
Wishing you luck with the “rat pack”…
Da’ Buiffalo

Big Daddy March 7, 2008 at 3:31 pm

I need one of those.
I want one of those.
It is a really cool weapon.

Roy Smith March 7, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Hey,I want one of these to go with my Swiss Keychain mini gun that fires real[ly tiny] bullets.

Eric March 7, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Gotta Love those folks at MagPul, I really hope this thing goes into production.

RPB March 7, 2008 at 8:10 pm

My question is how would this correspond to current gun laws? Would this technically classify as carrying a concealed weapon? Or could carrying this in the open be similar to carrying a holstered pistol or a slung rifle (not illegal in some areas on the face of it, but the police would likely find some pecuniary charge to bring you up on)? This will be a very interesting court case in the near future, I can assure you that much.

demophilus March 7, 2008 at 8:57 pm

This is actually an old idea. Eugene Stoner, lead designer on the AR-15/M-16, did a folding SMG when he worked with ARES, Inc., back in the 70s. There was another version, the Boatman M-21, after that, and the Russians copied the ARES weapon as the PP-90.
The chief difference here is that it is largely a shell/stock for COTS components — another manufacturer’s pistol.
Civilian apps seem pretty limited; even as a semiauto, it’s got a folding stock, and/or “short barreled rifle” configuration. IIRC, that puts it into a whole world of Federal and State legal hassles.
Don’t know about police/military apps, either. In the proper caliber, it could be an alternative to a pistol, or holsterable PDW; you could fit one in a MOLLE pouch. Otherwise, like its predecessors, it’s pretty much made for clandestine ops. Fold it up, and it looks like something it’s not.
As for carrying one around your neighborhood, that’s hyperbole, I hope.

Loosy Goosie March 8, 2008 at 3:30 am

Hmm, it seems as if we have “groupies” from the band “rage against the machine” in here for the most part.
Now dont get me wrong, the system is mighty broken, and, when it all comes tumbling down, will you be a slave or a free human?
Thats your choice. Why? Because G-D gave you free will. I choose to live free or die.
Those whom forget history are doomed to relive it.

TheBoogyMan March 8, 2008 at 10:56 am

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Let’s all be honest people, this is not for any of us. this is more or less a executive protection piece for high paid asshold body gaurds. Its like something out of a movie, a crew of peopel hit a button on their briefcases and produce said weapon.
It seems really cool, yes, these guys are up to some big things, yes, is it something you would want, or find useful in a typical self defense situation? I would think not.
If someone is coming at me or my loved ones with intent to harm, i would think that the process of going to a waist holster and getting your sights up is already long enough. I would not want to ask a crack head to hold on while my transformer fun gun got caught in my TactiCool MilSpec jacket.
But, yes, it is really cool looking. So with that said, this entire post is out the window for most people.

Galls March 8, 2008 at 11:10 am

Well maybe the gun designers have the businessman/casual mercenary as the target market? Just another day in his double shift? Psychologically I suppose it is likely that many aggressors will be awed delaying them enough for said person to eventually be shocked.
And for the life of me this guy in the video reminds me of the karate teacher in napoleon dynamite.

Da' Buffalo March 8, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Evangeline: “if you life somewhere that you need an SMG to take a walk its time to consider a relocation.
I live in Vancouver, the marijuana trade capital of north America, the nexus of pacific rim organized crime activity on the continent (of which three are currently in a gang war), the port of choice for al qaeda operatives seeking to enter America, the place where the rest of the country sends its recently released convicts. not once have I felt so unsafe as to require a weapon of any kind, let alone an SMG, to go outside.”
I busted my chops as a 14 year old runaway kid on the streets of the Lower East side in the 60s, so I KNOW there are places like what he describes in DC.
But I also know he either doesn’t live there, or really needs to take the ‘Rollie” off before he walks home.

Roy Smith March 9, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Off-topic,does anybody know if all of our soldiers,to include combat support & combat service support,are being issued rifle scopes,or a scope of some sort,to go with their m4 carbines? The reason I ask is because AOL.com has an article about a 19 year old medic who won the Silver Star for saving her buddies after an IED blew up their vehicle & they came under enemy attack.
Any,the publicity photo of her holding an M4 rifle with a scope on it AND a 30-round “banana-clip” magazine has drawn questions from some,including me,who know that medics did could carry M4/M16s,but they were restricted to carrying 20 round magazines.Some,including me,feel that the PR people just gave her an M4 that obviously wasn’t hers,to pose like a “Xena warrior princess.” Others feel like such an opinion is showing jealousy towards her because we are pointing out the mistake of the weapon she’s carrying.If medics today are allowed to have scopes & 30-round magazines with their M4s,then nevermind.I just want to know? We sure weren’t allowed banana clips when I was a medic in Germany during the 80’s.

KragCulloden March 9, 2008 at 2:31 pm

@Roy -
I have no idea what you are talking about…banana clips - do you mean the standard 30 round magazine for all M16s and M4s in the US military? If so, then yes, that is standard, at least for the Corpsman in the USMC.
I have read that many Corpsmen in Iraq carry a shotgun, but I believe that is unique to the city fighting in Iraq. All that I knew carried the standard M16, which nowadays for Marines would be the A4 with ACOG. I thought the Army standard was an M4 with CCO optics…anyone here an Army type?

Nick B. March 9, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. The FMG-9 is currently in prototype phase - we went from design to prototype in about 10 days, so if/when this gets released it will be in a much more refined format. We just thought it was a cool idea, so we built it…not much more to it than that.
The FMG isn’t really designed to be a CCW pistol replacement, or standard issue military/police weapon. It’s got very specific applications, some of which have been named here. I see this being useful for the Secret Service, under cover, the alphabet soup agencies in Washington D.C., etc. I love the FMG, but it’s still slower to deploy than the .45 that rides in a holster on my hip, and it still fires a pistol bullet. It has its place, but duty applications are somewhat limited.
That said, even at SHOT Show - a place full of guns and gun nuts - no one “made” the FMG as a gun until we pushed the magic button on the side. Very cool stuff…

Roy Smith March 9, 2008 at 7:11 pm

KragCulloden,
When I was in the army during the 80’s we had the M16A1 rifle & we only were allowed 20 round magazines as medics in support battalions.When I was in 1/15th Infantry battalion,I carried a M1911A1 pistol.I heard that medics in artillery battalions could carry a M3 sub-machine gun & in fact spoke to one who said he did(imagine my envy over that one).If medics are allowed 30 round magazines today,then they have it a hell of a lot better than we did in the “peace-time/cold war” army & forget about optic sites for us.At least common sense has finally hit the medical corps then.I stand corrected on criticizing that photo of the female medic who deservedly won the Silver Star.

g March 9, 2008 at 9:18 pm

This seems to defeat the whole purpose of being armed. Unless you think the point is to get the chance to shoot things up rather than to avoid problems in the first place

Wembley March 10, 2008 at 9:35 am

Looks cool, but don’t go thinking it provides any actual protection on the streets.
On the other hand, it’ll be really useful for the bad guys and makes life that much harder for the cops.

coolhand77 March 10, 2008 at 9:39 am

It would classify as an SBR. The one shown at the SHOT show has no auto sear in it, so its semi only.
One thing that most of you are forgetting is that even with as short a sight radius as that piece has, its a longer sight radius than a midsized pistol, AND a stocked weapon like a carbine or an SBR will always be a more stable platform than a pistol when shouldered. Yes a pistol might be faster, but this puppy would also be more accurate in general because of that fact (assuming you can shoot worth crap).
Put one as the detatchable handle on your briefcase, or slip it into your “man purse” or have it stowed under your desk at home. There are many possibilities for something like that that folds up to the size (approximately) of a VHS tape.

evangeline March 10, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Da’Buffalo
I am not saying sketchy places dont exist, I am saying he, and you, should not be such pussies about it.
as a side note, perhaps someone on this board can explain to me why someone would even want to conceal a weapon.
as far as I can tell there are two reasons to carry:
1) self defense, in which case you would want it visible so thugs no not to start anything. I cannot see why you would want anything other than an AK47
or 2) Irony, to make fun of people who live in one of the safest countries on earth yet seem to believe it is as dangerous for middle class white people as Johannesburg during the revolution. in this case I cant see why you would want anything other than a hello kitty AK47

SSRPaulO March 10, 2008 at 1:12 pm

“Da’ Buffalo”, I would be interested in seeing if you can post links to 2 or more studies that support your claim and have been published in any reputable journal. It is easy to claim

Anonymous March 10, 2008 at 6:35 pm

I too lived in a dicey part of DC, the “bad” end of U-Street two years ago before the forces of gentrification pushes the boundary from 16th street to 10th street.
Getting a virgina driver’s license is easy. Getting firearms in virginia is easy. Driving across bridges is easy.
It’s how the gangstahs do it, it’s how paranoid white men do it.
I’m so happy i moved out of that city…

Wembley March 11, 2008 at 8:48 am

Spot on, Buffalo. The high risk group for being shot are young black males. Strangely enough, they’re also quite well armed. So why doesn’t it protect them?

ssrpaulo March 11, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Here is the problem I have with this response. You mention

BobJim March 11, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Seems like it would make a good backup for military types. Perhaps a beefed up version (that’s really a SMG instead of a glorified pistol) would fit nicely into a soldier’s webbing. That fancy M16 jams up, out comes the transformer gun.

ssrpaulo March 11, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Wembley
Because the predominantly 14 to 21 year age group you are talking about are not generally prone to get formal firearms training, and are likely to rely on what they see in popular culture for their training.
Recently however, there has been an increase in the infiltration of the US Military by gang members, and that is causing some of the crimes to shift to a more violent and deadly trend when military tactics and training are applied to violent gangland felonies.

Who would Jesus snuff March 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Here’s the worldview the author is envisioning.
Note, the perp is a civilian with an armory:
Guns and fists as “snow rage” erupts
QUEBEC CITY, Quebec (Reuters) - Although Canada is one of the snowiest countries in the world, a series of violent “snow rage” incidents reveal that even the locals have their limits.
Police in the French-speaking province of Quebec said on Wednesday that people were fighting over snow clearing and even parking spaces.
Recent Canadian winters have been mild but this one looks set to break all-time records for snow. One storm last weekend dumped 23 inches on the capital Ottawa and 19 inches on Quebec City, which has already received 210 inches this year.
Quebec City police said they had been called to a dozen violent disputes about snow from one property ending up on someone else’s. The drifts outside some houses are 12 feet and higher.
Last Sunday, a man in an upscale Quebec City neighborhood became so upset a woman from a snow removal service was putting snow on his yard that he shouted at her and then took a shovel and hit the window of the vehicle she was driving.
“The woman apologized and returned to work … a bit later the man opened his garage door and emerged with a shotgun, pointed it at the ground and looked at her in a threatening way,” said police spokeswoman Catherine Viel.
Police arrested the man, who will be charged with negligent use of a firearm, and seized a total of 13 weapons from his home. Viel said snow-related fights were unusually common.
In full: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSGOR25761920080312

link ekle May 4, 2008 at 10:40 am

link ekle

ibik k May 4, 2008 at 10:40 am

ibik k

ibik k May 4, 2008 at 10:40 am

ibik k

ibik k May 4, 2008 at 10:40 am

ibik k

ibik k May 4, 2008 at 10:40 am

ibik k

Colin July 5, 2008 at 1:19 am

Got to fondle it at the Shot show, still a prototype, but it shows a lot of outof the box, or in this case into the box thinking.

Sword of the New World money August 9, 2008 at 1:01 am

Each one of those character classes - musketeer, wizard, fighter, scout, elementalist, and the unique player characters (UPCs) - acquires, over time, an impressive set of combat stances. Each stance offers Sword of the New World money unique skills, abilities and equipment options, making every class as powerful as it is versatile.

kamas August 18, 2008 at 2:21 am

Speak our story now, perhaps our story was very common, I met her in the last year, at that time we only said a few words, at that time she was buy the kamas now, we changed our telephone each other, from then on

buy dofus kamas August 18, 2008 at 2:34 am

I thought that if I love her I could like her all things, so in order let her in the game felt happy, I spend many money to buy dofus kamas for her.

cheap Tibia coins August 20, 2008 at 1:21 am

Remember you must remove the security problem before trying to get your cheap Tibia coins account back.

buy sro gold August 20, 2008 at 1:22 am

If you’re wondering how to look out for bots, how to avoid them and what to do buy sro gold, you have come to the right place.

Silkroad gold August 20, 2008 at 1:23 am

Thanks for reading and hopefully there will be a lot more Silkroad gold where that came from!