Home » Ammo and Munitions » DT Video: How Mortar Rounds are Made

DT Video: How Mortar Rounds are Made

Want to see a mortar being born? DT’s video guru Glenn Anderson took a trip out to MaTech’s Salisbury, MD plant and shot this great footage of mortar rounds being built from scratch using grandma’s secret recipe. Enjoy.

Joe Boyum April 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm

A mortar is the gun tube, baseplate, bipod and sight…and/or the 11 charlie trained to operate the weapon.

A mortar round is the thing the assistant gunner loads in the tube aka hangs, and drops on command from the gunner.

(side note…read the story of the guy who fired 120mm rounds at taliban sans bipod. defines hooah in my book.)

Bill April 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm

"read the story of the guy who fired 120mm rounds at taliban sans bipod. defines hooah in my book."

Link?

Joe Boyum April 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Enter text right here!

Guest April 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm

And here I thought they only made horrible steak in Salisbury.

Will April 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm

about midway through the story - they get hit by a 107mm rocket, which takes out the support legs.. so he just put the mortar on his shoulder and kept firing! http://www.americanvalor.net/heroes/588

Joe Schmoe April 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I can't imagine how he fires the 120mm mortar, that thing has a recoil of several hundred kilos.

marc April 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm

From the brief details I see here, he only supported the tube with his shoulder. He didn't fire it from his hip and absorb the recoil with his body. I've seen videos of Serbs firing recoilless rifles sans tripod, from the shoulder. Of course, they were RECOILLESS rifles.

jamesb April 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm

go info for EVERYBODY….Right?

swissfreek April 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Man, where's the rest of the round? All I see is tail fins.

gildasd May 6, 2011 at 7:21 am

Pork at it's finest… That thing should be drop forged and lathed, full stop. it's a crazy wastefull and expensive process for a simple part.