Home » Air Force » Panorama: Inside AgustaWestland’s AW139M Helo

Panorama: Inside AgustaWestland’s AW139M Helo

Check out these two panorama’s showing the interior of AgustaWestland’s AW139M chopper the company is proposing to replace the Air Force’s fleet of UH-1N Hueys that do everything from shuttle VIPs around Washington, DC, to patrolling the Air Force’s Minuteman III ICBM fields. The AW139M features ballistic flooring, twin machine guns, a FLIR sensor ball and seating for 11 to 15 passengers.

Altro September 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Lets just hope it can keep its TRBs attached

blight September 19, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Supplementing the successful Joint Strike Fighter program with the Joint Helicopter Program. Savings out the wazoo. Victory for America.

m167a1 September 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm

These are great helos, but I expect Bell could build more UH-1s (I know the Marines have a new variant) likewise Sikorsky and whatever Hughes/Boeing/MD helicopters is called this week.

I think we can field a utility helo without going over the pond. If we must do that I wonder if the Eurocopter (UH-72) would eb suitable for the role?

tired September 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

The US OEM's have been very good at re-packaging old designs. Why not pay $30M for a 60M which still has the same airframe design from 1980, and costs $5k/hr to fly?

Jolly 24 September 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm

These birds would be assembled in AgustaWestland's plant in northeast Philadelphia, PA. EADS' UH-72 is too small to satisfy the Air Force missions for CVLSP. I know, because I've flown those missions myself while on active duty. Sikorsky UH-60M and Bell UH-1Y are very capable of doing the job, but for $Millions more apiece than the AW-139M.

m167a1 September 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the informative reply Jolly.

Lance September 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm

The UH-1s aren't going away with BIG cuts coming and the fact is for security at ICBM bases a UH-1 is all you need. Be cheaper and alot more performance and cost effective to upgrade or buy UH-1Y Hueys for the role.

Anonymous September 20, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Sure Lance for $28M apiece fro a "Y". I am sure the USMC is looking for more people to help cost share…..