Well, after the Air Force cancelled its award to Brazil-based Embraer for 20 Super Tucano light attack planes, the Pentagon has apparently told Brazilian officials that there will be another chance to supply the Pentagon with turboprop-driven attack aircraft.
Late last month, the Air Force canceled a relatively small contract — $355 million — with Embraer and Sierra Nevada Corporation for 20 Super Ts, after hinting that the service made some errors in the contracting process.
Remember, the Super T beat out Hawker Beechcraft’s AT-6 in the Air Force’s light attack contest that was aimed at helping build up the nascent Afghan air force.
It looks like the two firms will have the chance to go at it again, according to an AFP:
The United States has told Brazilian aircraft maker Embraer that it will reopen bidding for 20 light support planes after canceling a contract with the company, a Brazilian minister said Friday.
“They did not give official notice, but informally, they said: ‘Wait for another tender, we are expecting a new tender,'” Industry and Trade Minister Fernando Pimentel told journalists.
Washington assured Embraer that “there will be another round, there will be another tender,” he added.